Transformative Education Behind Bars
The purpose of Transformative Education Behind Bars (TEBB) is to partner nonprofit and university educators to create an agenda in which transformative education behind bars is possible.
In 2010-2011, Tranformative Education Behind Bars:
- gathered lead educators across University of Washington departments and schools, regional institutions of higher education (community colleges, state colleges, and private colleges), and local non-profits;
- researched and assessed current prison-based education efforts;
- developed pilot college-readiness curriculum to be delivered to populations behind bars in Washington State; and
- convened a regional symposium on Prison Higher Education programs.
In 2011-2012, Transformative Education Behind Bars will be:
- developing a broader coalition with prison college programs across the United States,
- creating and implementing educational assessment plans for the University Beyond Bars program with all involved stakeholders (including students behind bars), and
exploring the possibilities of an Inside-Out program at the University of Washington.