The Simpson Center provides financial and administrative support for crossdisciplinary research, teaching, and engagement projects. We support a wide range of activities, including fellowships, cross-departmental research groups, scholarly conferences and symposia, community-engaged collaborations, and other projects.
To receive notification when funding rounds open, subscribe to our weekly newsletter.
SPRING FUNDING ROUND NOW OPEN:
APPLICATIONS DUE APRIL 7, 2023
Co-Sponsored UW Events
Faculty members may request small discretionary grants (maximum $750) to support opportunities such as visiting speakers and conferences. At least two units must be involved to propose an event (for example, the South Asia Center and the Department of History might collaborate on bringing a visiting speaker to UW). Applicants for co-sponsorship are eligible to request use of the Simpson Center’s Zoom Webinar platform, and YouTube hosting. Applications are accepted throughout the year and are reviewed by the Director.
Please note: Co-sponsorship funding supplements the support of the lead unit, which is expected to administer funding and the event. The Simpson Center can promote the event through our calendar and website, but does not assume additional organizational responsibilities for co-sponsored UW events.
Scheduling note: The Simpson Center does not co-sponsor events that conflict with other events we are supporting.
Zoom Webinar Hosting: Use of the webinar platform requires additional Simpson Center staff time, which will be taken into consideration when this resource is requested.
YouTube Hosting: There are associated costs (both labor and monetary) to post and to make videos fully accessible. The Simpson Center may have further questions regarding plans and will evaluate YouTube hosting requests on the basis of cost (including time and availability of Simpson Center staff) and on the merits of the broadly distributing the event recording through a public platform such as YouTube. For more information about how the Simpson Center supports video recording and posting co-sponsored events, please refer to "Recording Your Events" in our Funded Project Toolkit.
Letters requesting co-sponsorship funds should be sent by a UW faculty member to Program & Events Manager Caitlin Palo at firstname.lastname@example.org and should:
- Describe the event
- List the event date and time, and whether this will be an in-person or remote event
- Link to the visiting speaker’s academic profile (if applicable)
- Specify how much is being requested and how the funds will be used
- Identify at least two units (other than the Simpson Center) that will support the event in some substantive way. Substantive support includes a commitment from all involved units to promote the event. Other substantive contributions may include administrative support or financial commitments.
- If requesting use of Zoom Webinar platform, explain the specific need for this platform (as opposed to, for example, the zoom meeting platform).
- If requesting YouTube Hosting, state how a recording of this event will be of enduring value for both a public audience and graduate or undergraduate education.